Search Inside Blog

March 14, 2009

Kanyakumari: The Land's End Of India


Another interesting journey, majestic hills and plains bordered by colourful sea-shores, coconut trees and paddy fields, elevated patches of red cliffs and undulating valleys- I departed for the southernmost tip of India- the last destination 'Kanyakumari' (or Cape Comorin). It was a cool Sunday morning when I reached at the confluence of the Indian Ocean, Bay of Bengal and Arabian Sea. The natural environment was peaceful and really stunning. I hired a guide from the bus stand only and asked him to first take me to a restaurant. While I was having my breakfast, my guide, Tahir, acquainted me with some interesting information about the city's history, various dynasties like the Cholas, Cheras, Pandyas & the Nayaks, attractions, and lifestyle.

We started off with the Gandhi Memorial. The National monument resembles an Orissa temple. Tahir also took me to the Kumari Amman Temple. He told me that it was the place where Devi Kanya- the Virgin Goddess and the incarnation of Goddess Parvati- did penance to marry Lord Siva. It is perhaps the most revered Hindu site in the region. Tahir insisted me to visit the Nagaraja Temple that resembles Chinese architecture of Budha Viharas and is known for a number of idols and images. But I refused as I was left with a little time in Kanyakumari. We together had a few local sea-food items in lunch at a small dhaba and continued our excursion.

I wished to see a few historical places, and Tahir took me to the Vivekananda Rock Memorial, the world famous site because of a huge statue of Swami Vivekananda, the great Indian philosopher and social reformist, who is said to have meditated here. The statue is situated about 500 metres in the sea which is easily accessible by boat. An isolated place Dhyana Mandapam is also built here for one to meditate. Apart from that, the 18th century Vattakotta Fort is also a wonderful monument, showcasing the best of Dutch architecture.

I realized that Kanyakumari is a renowned pilgrimage and a romantic destination as well. Couples can be seen enjoying the marvellous sight of Sunrise & Sunset and fishing at the multi-coloured sea shore. I truly liked this short visit to the city of culture, history, arts and economy. I bid good bye to Tahir and got into a bus heading towards Alleppey. On my way to Alleppey, I also had glimpse of the picturesque village of Thottapally, located in the south of the Alleppey district. The lively fishing harbour, serene backwaters and holy shrines together make it a paradise for nature lovers. It was getting dark and I could see the houseboats twinkling in the backwaters. I was very much excited to experience the life on the waters in this green paradise.

0 comments: