Search Inside Blog

March 25, 2009

Mysore: Preserving The Age Old Glory Of The Yadu & Wadiyar Dynasty


I had heard a lot about the scenic beauty and the rich cultural heritage of Mysore- the cultural capital of Karnataka. Fortunately I could extract an entire day for Mysore located at the base of the Chamundi Hills.I did my research, packed my bags and embarked to the 'city of palaces' where the great emperor Tipu Sultan created a golden chapter in Indian history. I decided to stay in Hotel Ginger, designed specially for self service. There was no bell boy, no room service and no waiter to entertain me. But that was a great experience while staying in a huge hotel without any assistance or interference.

I had my brunch in the restaurant of the hotel and headed towards the major attractions of the city. I hired an auto and asked him to take me to the Mysore Palace first. The autowala told me that the city flourished under the kingdom of Tipu Sultan. He was the one who made Mysore the 'Jewel of Karnataka' and contributed a lot in art and culture. The palace, once the residence of the Wadiyar Kings, is an excellent example of the Indo-Saracenic architectural style. I was visiting such heavily crafted doors, splendid art works, carved pillars and ornate ceilings for the first time and these were simply fabulous. I also paid a short visit to the museum inside the palace, which exhibits paintings, jewellery, etc. that once belonged to the Wadiyar Dynasty.

The entire city was busy in the preparations of Dussehra Festival, which was going to be held the next month. The autowala told me that a 2.5 mile long procession serves as the main attraction of the festival. This procession starts from the gates of Mysore Palace and an idol of Goddess Chamundeswari is taken on a beautifully decorated elephant. While having a few snacks at a roadside dhaba, I met a guide named 'Dara' who told me that it was the place where Goddess Chamundi killed Demon Mahishasura. Therefore the city was named Mysore after him only.

The autowala also took me to St. Philomena's Church (a great example of neo-Gothic structures), Brindavan Gardens, Rail Museum and Sri Jayachamarajendra Art Gallery (famous for the paintings of Mysore kings and princes). I was really overwhelmed to see the spirit of the city that still retains all the traditional values. Mysore is also famous for sandalwood and rosewood products. My last halt was the market area from where I bought the famous Mysore silk sarees for my mother and granny. This short trip to Mysore was simply remarkable in the true sense of the word.

0 comments: